ATTENTION MUSIC TEACHERS AND STUDENTS
The LONG ISLAND CHORAL SOCIETY, currently celebrating its 88th season, is proud to announce its 36th Annual Young Artists Competition. The purposes of this competition are:
1. To give young musicians who are planning further study in classical music an opportunity to be heard by eminent judges, and,
2. To reward excellence in music.
The Competition will be held on Sunday, MARCH 26, 2017 at a location in Rockville Centre. There will be a limited number of applicants heard on that date, the only date competitors will audition. A prize of $300.00 will be awarded to the winner. The first runner-up will receive a prize of $200.00. Both of these contestants MUST PERFORM at the Choral Societyís Spring Concert on Sunday, April 23, 2017, at 3:00 P.M. at St. Anthonyís High School Chapel, Melville, NY in order to receive their awards.
††††† ALL CONTESTANTS:
1) The competition is open to
2) A copy of each contestantís BIRTH CERTIFICATE or PASSPORT must accompany the application.
3) Each contestant will be allotted a MAXIMUM of fifteen minutes to perform.
4) All applications must be completed by students, signed by teachers, and received no later than MARCH 23, 2017.
5) Accompanist, if needed, must be provided by the applicant.† ABSOLUTELY NO RECORDED MUSIC PERMITTED.
INSTRUMENTALISTS must be between the ages of 14 and 19 as of January 1, 2017. They should prepare, from memory, two contrasting works, one from the classical or baroque periods and one from the romantic or modern; OR, two contrasting movements of a sonata, suite or concerto. All musicians MUST perform from memory, except strings, winds, and brass players.
VOCALISTS must be between the ages of 16 and 21 as of January 1, 2017.
They should prepare, from memory, an aria from an opera or oratorio, and two art
songs of different periods.
The completed form, birth certificate copy, and $25.00 nonrefundable registration fee should be mailed to:
Saltalamacchio, YAC Chairperson
Hicksville, NY 11801-5633
Additional applications may be obtained by photocopying or by downloading from www.lics.org
Meredith Elaine Baker